Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cropped Sweater Vest

I promise I'm not ignoring you guys. I've been super busy with projects that NEED to get done so that's why I've been off in la la land and haven't been doing the tutorials. So I'm going to do a really fast one right now b ecause its 1 a.m. and I feel I owe you all.

Ok so here is today's project.





So I started with this old 1990s red hooded sweater with a hood. Pretty Buffy Summers but I want to go for that Faith look instead.



The first thing that needed to be done was to remove the zipper. The zipper gave me a pre-hem along the front so I didn't have to worry about hemming the center. If you are using a regular sweater you will need to cut open the middle of your sweater and hem it.

I then removed the sleeves and using my sewing machine, I set the stich to a zig-zag stich with a very low stitch length of 1. I then sewed around the sleeve holes, stretching the fabric as I went to give it a finished edge.







Next I determined how short I wanted my vest to be and using a straight edge cut said line.



I stiched along this edge using the same process as before.



And that was it, one knitted vest without me ever having to knit a stitch. Pretty easy huh?

2 comments:

  1. Oh this is just perfect! Now I know what to do with all those wooly sweaters the hubby insists he'll wear one day! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!!! I love how you explain everything step by step!
    Great tut!
    I love your blog girl! I'll be reading up on you!
    oxox

    ReplyDelete